Sunday, March 15, 2009

Recipe Swap

I have been trying for a couple of months now to have our family eat at home more. I know how to cook decent meals, but I feel like I am in a rut! I seriously have 10 staple meals that I stand by and always cook. I used to be the pickiest eater alive no fruits no veggies, so trying new things can be scary and frustrating at times, I am coming out of my pickiness and willing and wanting to try anything.
I want to start a recipe swap on my blog everybody is invited to participate. My goal is that if I share my family's favorite recipes and everybody else shares their favorites, I can get a whole new cookbook full of great dinner ideas! I will post in categories to make the organization easy. Please don't be shy we can all benefit from this I just know it!
Some of the categories will be Crockpot, Chicken, Soups, Other meat/fish dinners, Summer bbq.
Warning:I make very simple easy meals nothing too fancy, I just don't have that much time to create master pieces. Feel free to give suggestions on how to spice up any of these recipes if you try them, no offense will be taken.

CrockPOT Dinners are slow cooked Deliciousness:
My Version of 'Cafe Rio Pork'

Ingredients:
1 round pork roast cut in half, freeze one half in a double zip top bag.
1 large can of green chili enchilada sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 small can of chopped green chilis
1 cup give or take of water
ground pepper
kosher salt
garlic powder
crock pot high heat
Procedure:
rub kosher salt, ground pepper and garlic powder on both sides of the pork
place the meat in the crock pot
mix the canned chilis, green enchilada sauce, water, and brown sugar all together
pour over the pork meat should be half submerged (I will flip the meat halfway through the day if I am at home)
cover and let still for 3 hours if thawed or 5 hours if frozen
when you have one hour left shred the pork and stir, the sauce should be getting thick turn heat to low and let it sit until you are ready to eat. the longer it sits the thicker the sauce will get add water to your own digression
(in the past I have added coke, or dr pepper- I personally like it better without the pop. please keep in mind this is MY version of cafe rio pork)

We eat ours with costco tortilla shells, cheese, black beans and rice.
This makes for awesome left overs! If I make the entire roast I will double bag and freeze small individual portions so that T or I can make a quick yummy lunches or dinner for one.
Happy Cooking ;)

4 comments:

Brooke and Jonny said...

Oh I have the best sweet pork recipe and it is even easier than that and so delicious! Do you get the costco tortillas that aren't cooked yet? my favorite!

Unknown said...

Great Idea Amanda! here is one I made and tried last night and IT WAS A HIT!

crock pot chicken parmesean!

1 JAR spaghetti sauce
2 tsp. crushed garlic (jarred)
1 to 1/2 c. parmesean cheese
5 boneless chicken breasts

Spray crock pot all around w/pam mix sauce and garlic pour over chicken. I season the chiken with salt and pepper. Turn crock pot on low 5-6 hrs. frozen 3-4 hrs not frozen.

Plate in dish over spaghetti noodles and sprinkle 1 c. parmesean cheese over top. SO GOOD! P.S.I eye ball the grated cheese a little more doesn't hurt anyone! its great with galic bread or warm french bread

Amanda said...

I don't really have any good recipes, I just usually throw stuff together! Your little one is soo cute! That is so funny that you have a memory of seeing my yellow crocs in my car! It's a good thing that I didn't wear them too much! They were hideous!

The Majors said...

Hi Amanda,
I have a recipe you should try its one of our favorites its sweet so i know T will like it. it's called
7-UP Chicken

*1 bag of baby carrots cut up
*3-7 potatoes peeled and cut up (i like using red potatoes) i will usually put in a little more
*1-2 onions cut up
*1 package of bacon
*1 Can 7-up
*1 cube of butter
*1 can cream of chicken soup
*4-6 boneless chicken breasts
*salt and pepper and garlic salt
cut bacon up and cook in pan, take bacon out and drain most of grease (leave a little in pan) put chicken breasts in pan and brown on both sides. then add onions until they are cooked half way. then add all other ingredients including bacon back in, stir you can place it in a crock pot but i think it tastes better in the oven put it in at 350 for 2-3 hours or 300 for 3-4 hours.

ENJOY! HOPE YOU LIKE IT MISS YOU GUYS! BISHOP TOLD US SUNDAY THAT MY DIVORCE SHOULD GO THROUGH ANY DAY SO WE CAN BE SEALED! SO WE GET TO COME AND VISIT SOON! YAY KENNEDY LOOKED SO CUTE IN HER PINK DRESS!

About Me

My photo
Tyson and I have been married for over 3 years we were joined by our most precious baby girl Kennedy born March 9th!! We love living close to both our family's they do so much for us. I believe that when you have Love you have everything you need.

sweet baby

sweet baby